About Me

My photo
Married, mother of 3, grandmother of 3. I have a 27 year old son that is the Bud-Man(Budweiser delivery driver), I have a 22 year old son that is in the Army National Guard, works full-time for the Guard and attends MTSU as a full-time student, I have a 17 year old a drama queen :)that is a senior in High School,she is also on the swim team.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Warm Days and Chili Nights

It's the last day of September. The days are warm but the nights are chilly! If you are like me, It's tank tops and shorts during the day, sweatshirts and jeans at night. Especially on Fridays. Avoiding the fast food crap that a lot of people choose before the high school football games. I usually put on a pot of chili. Sometimes I serve these with smoked turkey sausages on whole wheat buns...or it's fabulous just in a bowl with your favorite toppings! I like to use pinto beans because I really hate the firm texture of red beans, the choice is yours though! You can actually cook this on top of the stove in less time. Also, the turkey can be replaced with super lean ground beef. It's the most versatile recipe I have! Throw in extra chili powder or jalapenos for more kick!



Crock Pot Turkey Chili
Ingredients

1.3 lb (20 oz) fat free ground turkey breast


1 small onion, chopped


1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes


1 (16 oz) can tomato sauce


1 (4.5 oz) can chopped chilies, drained

3 (15.5 oz) cans of pinto beans (or you can use black, red, or a combination)

2 tbsp chili powder


1/2 teaspoon dried parsley


1 teaspoon salt


3/4 teaspoon dried basil


3/4 teaspoon dried oregano


1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper


1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce





Directions

Brown turkey in a skillet, breaking it up as it cooks


Place all ingredients in crock pot, cover


Cook on low for 6-8 hours





Optional

top with your favorite toppings, 2% cheddar, whole wheat crackers, chopped onions, jalapenos

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget