About Me

My photo
Married, mother of 3, grandmother of 3. I have a 27 year old son that is the Bud-Man(Budweiser delivery driver), I have a 22 year old son that is in the Army National Guard, works full-time for the Guard and attends MTSU as a full-time student, I have a 17 year old a drama queen :)that is a senior in High School,she is also on the swim team.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

White Bean and Sausage Soup For The Scatter-brain Mind

I had planned to grill sausages for dinner tonight. Went out to light the grill and noticed that I hadn't turned off one of the burners when I used it on Thursday night. A brand new tank of propane had burned up and I have no idea how long it had taken. Funny thing...early Saturday morning I went outside just before dawn, I had turned on the flood lights and thought that I saw smoke drifting up from the grill. I sat there in the dark watching it and wondering why this was happening. Just as I started to get up and check it out...the thought left my mind and I never investigated the source. So I know that it burned for two nights at least.

These things are starting to become routine in my life. Just a couple weeks ago, the oven never got turned on and I had a chicken and rice casserole in the oven for an hour and a half...dinner that night was thrown in the microwave. The chicken was rubbery and the rice was crunchy. I needed to think fast and redeem myself tonight. When my husband came home, I really didn't wanna tell him that not only had I wasted a whole tank of gas by leaving the grill on....but that his dinner was going to be rubberized Italian Sausage.

I went inside and started frantically looking through my recipes....sausages, sausages....ugh! What in the hell am I gonna do with sausages? It was at this point I remembered a recipe that my dear ex-boss had given me several years ago. He had had brought it for us for lunch and we all loved it so much that he photocopied the recipe for us. I finally found it folded in my wallet. Don't ask me why because I have no idea.

My husband enjoyed it so much, the consequences where limited to a few huffs and one sigh. During dinner, which was served in the den, he went into the kitchen for a second serving....It was at this point that he asked if the glass of ice sitting next to the opened 2 liter bottle of Diet Pepsi belonged to me. I forgot that I was thirsty....Now it's my turn to sigh.

As a thanks for allowing me to share my sad story....I'm gonna share the recipe too.

Sausage and White Bean Soup

2 Tbs. EVOO
1 1/2 lb sweet or hot Italian sausage in the casing
2 lbs thinly sliced prosciutto ham, minced
2 medium onions in medium dice
2 medium carrots peeled and in medium dice
2 medium celery in medium dice
1 tsp dried thyme leaves
3 15.8 cans great northern or other white beans,
   undrained
1 quart chicken broth


Heat oil in large, deep saute' pan or soup kettle over medium heat. When pan is hot, add sausages; cook, turning once or twice until well browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. (Sausages will not be fully cooked at this point.)
Remove from pan. When cool enough to handle, cut into slices 1/4 inch thick. Add prosciutto, onions, carrots, celery, and thyme to the empty skillet; cook, stirring often, until well browned, 8 to 10 minutes. In a small bowl, mash 1 can of beans with a fork into a chunky puree. Add broth, whole and mashed beans, and sausage; cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, partially covered, to blend flavors, 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget