About Me

My photo
Married, mother of 3, grandmother of 3. I have a 27 year old son that is the Bud-Man(Budweiser delivery driver), I have a 22 year old son that is in the Army National Guard, works full-time for the Guard and attends MTSU as a full-time student, I have a 17 year old a drama queen :)that is a senior in High School,she is also on the swim team.

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Back Away From The Bagel

I have never been a big fan of breakfast. Coffee was usually all that interested me. Over the years as I picked up weight and started trying to figure out the error of my ways, I discovered that people who skip breakfast are 50% more likely to struggle with their weight.

Most mornings I have a bowl of high fiber cereal and a banana, or I just pop a whole wheat english muffin in the toaster, spread a little peanut butter on it, a container of yogurt, and a small glass of juice.

Regardless of what it is, I want my breakfast to have at least 5 grams of fiber (fiber intake should be gradually increased to avoid stomachache), and be around 40% of my daily calorie intake. This will vary from person to person. As you age, your recommended fiber intake decreases.

There are several free tools available to help you decide what is best for you. I highly recommend mynetdiary. This is available on-line and also as a phone app. Here is the link https://mynetdiary.com/logonPage.do

Sometimes on weekend mornings, I will put a little more effort into my breakfast. I love whole-wheat english muffins, there are so many things you can do with them. I do try to always add a fresh fruit but there are those mornings that I just don't have any available, Then I'll just have a glass of juice.

Whole-wheat English Muffin Breakfast

(Calories - 150 per serving----makes 4 servings)



1 cup fat-free egg product or 4 eggs

1/4 cup fat-free (skim) milk

Dash of salt Dash of pepper

2 teaspoons canola or soybean oil

2 tablespoons chopped onion

2 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper

2 tablespoons chopped cooked ham

1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese (2 oz)

2 whole wheat English muffins, split, toasted



In small bowl, beat egg product, milk, salt and pepper with wire whisk or fork until well blended

In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, bell pepper and ham in oil 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender. Pour egg mixture into skillet. As eggs begin to set at bottom and side, gently lift cooked portions with spatula so that uncooked egg can flow to bottom. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until eggs are thickened throughout but still moist; stir cheese into eggs.

Spoon egg mixture evenly over muffin halves

If you struggle with your weight, It is best to avoid highly dense foods that contain a lot of calories in a small portion. This means that you should put that bagel down!

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget