About Me

My photo
Married, mother of 3, grandmother of 3. I have a 27 year old son that is the Bud-Man(Budweiser delivery driver), I have a 22 year old son that is in the Army National Guard, works full-time for the Guard and attends MTSU as a full-time student, I have a 17 year old a drama queen :)that is a senior in High School,she is also on the swim team.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Break It Down For Me


With the Government recommending that Americans cut their red and processed meat  consumption to 70 grams per day, I for one want to know the health risk. I love a good steak or burger occasionally...and what exactly is considered processed meat? How much is 70 grams?

I just want the simple answers. Just break it down for me. I do not wanna get 7,960,000 results from a google search on the dangers of red meat consumption!

A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association specifically shows that the risk for colon cancer doubles for people who consume a lot of red meat in comparison to those that eat smaller quantities.

There is also an increased risk of cardiovascular diseases probably due to the high content of saturated fat.

Not to mention the increased risk of type II diabetes, obesity, hypertension, arthritis...ect, ect, ect..well hell, enough said!

I want to know...How much is too much??? 70 grams means nothing to me. To my surprise that is the equivalent to 2.47 ounces. I can tell you that without using a scale to weigh the meat....It's a little smaller than a deck of playing cards. This is not looking good!

What is considered processed meats?
Processed meats include meats that are salted, cured, smoked, or preserved with nitrate. Bacon, sausage, ham, hot dogs, lunch meat and other cured meats. That means that that double decker turkey sandwich that I was so proud to have had for lunch...was not a good thing!

I can do without lunch meat. Tuna could be a problem for me. I have read that the pouches of Tuna are less processed, however this is going to require more research than I care to do at this moment.


I am still gonna have my occasional burger or steak. I will of course pair them with fresh vegetables that are packed with antioxidants. I do intend to be more aware of the amount that I do consume and I am definitely ditching the turkey and ham lunch meats. When I do indulge in red meats, I will choose the leanest ground beef and cuts of steak.

The best suggestion that I have found is to keep food in it's most natural form. Got it...sigh...canned and processed foods are bad for me. Anything that has a dated shelf life. I don't know a lot of people that have the time or know how to remove every processed food from their diet. Not to mention the added expense of fresh foods.

I guess I will just fix what I can.



No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget