About Me

My photo
Married, mother of 3, grandmother of 3. I have a 27 year old son that is the Bud-Man(Budweiser delivery driver), I have a 22 year old son that is in the Army National Guard, works full-time for the Guard and attends MTSU as a full-time student, I have a 17 year old a drama queen :)that is a senior in High School,she is also on the swim team.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Losing Precious Memories

I sometimes joke about the things that happen to me due to being forgetful. I sometimes forget what I need to put on the grocery list. I occasionally forget why someone isn't home when they are suppose to be. There are even times when I have no idea what day it is. Rarely, I do things like leave the grill on.

I think this is normal. Kait texts me this morning and to tell me that she has forgotten the school video camera and she is gonna cry. I would take it to her but I am not getting out of the car. She says that she can't come out to get it, that they won't let her. I'm waiting on her to call her daddy, him to leave work and come get it and take it to her. Or even better....call me and insist that I take it.

This supports my theory that forgetting things is a normal, everyday occurrence for many people.

My cousin, my grandfather and me
Papa
I lost my grandfather last year to Alzheimer's. It is a terrible disease that robs the person and their family of life...even before they succumb to the disease. Luckily his children were close and they intervened and he was moved in with family members.

For the past year or so, Doug has really been concerned about his mother. She has so many problems but out of respect for her, I will not share the majority of them here. The worst of  her problems being her memory loss. She lives alone in another state. She is exceptionally healthy physically and very strong willed to say the least. I will share the latest incident but keep in mind this is one sided as I only heard part of the conversation(s).

Doug came in around 6:45 from work. He walks into the kitchen and his phone starts to ring. I hear him answer it and this is what I hear...

(Doug)...Hello

pause while he is listening to the person on the other end of the phone.

(Doug)...Hi Momma, no I didn't call today.

pause

(Doug)...well if I did, it was an accident, I sometimes call people with my phone in my pocket.

pause

(Doug)...How are you?

pause

(Doug)...Everyone here is fine.

pause

(Doug)...Okay Momma, I love you. Bye-Bye.

Seems like a normal conversation right? Yeah, I thought so too.

We have dinner and I am loading the dishwasher. It is about 7:15 or so. Doug's phone rings. Here is how Doug's part of the conversation goes...

(Doug)...Hello

pause while he is listening to the person on the other end of the phone.


(Doug)...Hi Momma, no I didn't call today.

pause

(Doug)...I don't think so Momma.

pause

(Doug)...Everyone is fine Momma.

Back: Doug, Barry, and Ken
Front: Willie and Ella Mae
Doug, Ken, Ella Mae, and Barry

It is at this point, I leave the room. Sigh.

I am at a loss for what to do. I don't know whether to throw a fit to get attention....but something has to be done. I know it isn't going to be easy, I know she isn't going to like it one bit. I know she has made it taking care of herself for 70 + years....I get that. I just don't want to wait until she forgets something that will harm her, or potentially be fatal.

I am not trying to diagnose her. I am not trying to interfere...I just feel like something needs to be done...and it needs to be done soon...like yesterday.

Sadly, I am not in the position to make that call. I guess I will just hope for the best. 

I am going to list the 10 warning signs of Alzheimer's, again...I am not diagnosing her. Simply giving the warning signs directly from
www.alz.org

1. Memory loss that disrupts daily life

2.Challenges in planning or solving problems

3. Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home, at work or at leisure

4. Confusion with time or place

5. Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationships

6. New problems with words in speaking or writing

7. Misplacing things and losing the ability to retrace steps

8. Decreased or poor judgment

9. Withdrawal from work or social activities

10. Changes in mood and personality

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget